Skip to main content

Just another day (D-11)


Today was yet another day of hiking 🙂. A few highlights, in no particular order:

Crossed the 200-mile-marker

Saw a rainbow in the clouds above Mt. San Jacinto (look closely and you will see it)

Most of the day was spent walking towards I-10 highway - mostly downhill. You might see the highway in the far-off distance. But more interestingly, saw this patch of green in the middle of all the brown. A small community called Snow Creek…ironical since I doubt there ever see snow 😀

These were the group of hikers who were all taking their break in the small area of shade under the rock. I was also there where the guy in the blue is sitting. Everybody squeezed in as close to the rock as possible to escape the heart. To the extreme right is a water faucet provided by the local water company, as a service to the hikers when natural water sources are far apart.

Below was trail magic under the railway bridge, next to I-10. Normally this would be a place nobody would go to, but for PCT, it was heavenly with water and even a bowl of fresh fruit, which a couple of us polished off. As you might guess, fresh fruit & veggies are non-existent on the trail.
My tentsite - it was very windy through the night
Btw, remember the tent pole issues. I sent an email to the company and the owner responded within a couple of hours with the tracking number of the replacement poles sent to the PO of the next town I will be stopping in. That's customer service at the highest level!

Data:

Comments

[v] said…
And just like that - 200 miles 👏

Popular posts from this blog

A thru-hike attempt... successful! (D-117: 2642.6 - 2653.6, D-117S (SOBO): 0 - 17.1, D-118S (SOBO): 17.1-30.6)

It is done! Finally, on August 10th, 2022, 117 days after I started at the US-Mexico border on April 16th, 2022, I reached the US-Canada border.  Walked 2653.6 miles (4270.6 km) south-to-north through the states of California, Oregon and Washington. No bittersweet moments...just sweet relief to be done 😀. We were few of the lucky thru-hikers this year who were able to go south-to-north continuously without any interruptions.  People who started even a couple of weeks earlier and maintained this pace hit a lot more snow in Seirras and a hell lot more in Washington, the latter being almost hike-stopping.  By the time we got to Seirras, the snow was much more manageable, and almost all the snow had melted in Washington.  People who started later or were slower have had to skip parts of Northern California due to forest fires. Even Oregon and Southern California have some fires starting already. Anyway, reached the northern terminus of the PCT yesterday morn...

Resupply (4 days to go)

(Finally gave up on HikerFeed app which seemed good on paper, but never worked properly for me 🙁) 10-day resupply in the bear canister, ready to ship - 7.6 kg / 16.8 lbs (gulp!) Already shipped the first box last week

Water, Wattage & WiFi (D-2)

Today was going to be tough one. If yesterday's elevation gain of 1000+ m was difficult, today's 1400+ m was going to be relentlesly uphill from the start to the end. With hiking legs still to be developed and 3 liters of water carry for a total pack weight of around 18-19 kg, it promised to be a challenging day.  And it lived up to the challenge 😄.  There were a few bright spots though including coming across the cold and clean Kitchen Creek and meeting a bunch of hikers both local & PCT.  The second half of the day was a slog and I was ready for it to end. The goal was to reach Mt Laguna town and find a place to replenish water, charge my phone and get some WiFi as I doubted there would be any decent cell phone signal. But, lo & behold, as soon as I stepped off the trail to go to town, I was introduced to the famed Trail Magic!! A few trail angels has setup a picnic and generously welcomed all the hikers with cold soda, snacks, cookies, pie etc....