Skip to main content

Special updates

A couple of points to note:

1. One of my friends, Partha, has kindly taken on the role of a self-appointed social media manager & created an Instagram account. This is primarily for videos that I have taken and will be taking along the trail. Since videos cannot be uploaded on this blog - at least, not that I have been able to figure it out - please check out the link below, if you are interested:

https://instagram.com/nomad.oogway?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Disclaimer: I have only provided the raw content. For everything else, credit/criticism to Partha 🙂. In fact, I don't have an Insta account and haven't even seen the page yet. Insta is a bandwidth-heavy (both data & mental) app and right now, I am low on both 😏😀

2. I was not aware that people have been leaving comments on the blog posts since I have never actually checked the blog site itself. I just use the Blogger app to upload the blog and that's it. That itself is rather slow and painful in the low bandwidth environment. In fact, now I send the content to Shalini to upload it. Anyway, she just told me that there were a bunch of comments and I am sorry for not responding to any of them till now. I will definitely respond soon as soon as I go through them in a few days. Please excuse my tardiness.

Comments

[v] said…
Guessed that you weren't seeing the comments. Actually leave it. You shouldn't. Be a rebel in the trail. Posting comments is our way of staying in touch with you. All Async.
Vipul said…
Not sure about bandwidth but definately you are not low on any other aspects Ravi :-), Enjoy

Popular posts from this blog

A thru-hike attempt... successful! (D-117: 2642.6 - 2653.6, D-117S (SOBO): 0 - 17.1, D-118S (SOBO): 17.1-30.6)

It is done! Finally, on August 10th, 2022, 117 days after I started at the US-Mexico border on April 16th, 2022, I reached the US-Canada border.  Walked 2653.6 miles (4270.6 km) south-to-north through the states of California, Oregon and Washington. No bittersweet moments...just sweet relief to be done 😀. We were few of the lucky thru-hikers this year who were able to go south-to-north continuously without any interruptions.  People who started even a couple of weeks earlier and maintained this pace hit a lot more snow in Seirras and a hell lot more in Washington, the latter being almost hike-stopping.  By the time we got to Seirras, the snow was much more manageable, and almost all the snow had melted in Washington.  People who started later or were slower have had to skip parts of Northern California due to forest fires. Even Oregon and Southern California have some fires starting already. Anyway, reached the northern terminus of the PCT yesterday morn...

Resupply (4 days to go)

(Finally gave up on HikerFeed app which seemed good on paper, but never worked properly for me 🙁) 10-day resupply in the bear canister, ready to ship - 7.6 kg / 16.8 lbs (gulp!) Already shipped the first box last week

Water, Wattage & WiFi (D-2)

Today was going to be tough one. If yesterday's elevation gain of 1000+ m was difficult, today's 1400+ m was going to be relentlesly uphill from the start to the end. With hiking legs still to be developed and 3 liters of water carry for a total pack weight of around 18-19 kg, it promised to be a challenging day.  And it lived up to the challenge 😄.  There were a few bright spots though including coming across the cold and clean Kitchen Creek and meeting a bunch of hikers both local & PCT.  The second half of the day was a slog and I was ready for it to end. The goal was to reach Mt Laguna town and find a place to replenish water, charge my phone and get some WiFi as I doubted there would be any decent cell phone signal. But, lo & behold, as soon as I stepped off the trail to go to town, I was introduced to the famed Trail Magic!! A few trail angels has setup a picnic and generously welcomed all the hikers with cold soda, snacks, cookies, pie etc....