Skip to main content

Beauty & the Beast (D-36 709.5 - 735.5; D-37 735.5 - 760)


All I can say is that Seirras are absolutely beautiful and very tough too. Meadows, rivers, creeks and steep climbs up mountains. Unlike the desert, the elevation gradients are higher and the trail is not uniform.

Here are a few pics:
   Bridge over Kern River

   Kennedy Meadows

Saw a few more snow plants...they are so pretty (& interesting - thanks Lisa & Ritu) that I had to share again

   A change in signage

   Signs now on trees, instead of boards

   Crossing a meadow

View of Owens Valley from the crest @ 10650 ft where I camped on Day 36

   Mountains all around and meadows

Chicken Spring lake - the first lake I have seen on PCT

   Filtering water at the Lake

For those who have had Biscoff cookies on Delta airlines and loved them, there is now Biscoff butter. Love it!

   Some more scenery

My campsite on D-37 with Rock Creek flowing next to the tentsite and deer walking around in the meadow

Data:
D-36
D-37

NOTE: Another feature of the Seirras is that there is essentially zero cell phone connectivity. In fact haven't had any signal since the day I left Kennedy Meadows. So, while I am writing these blogs in real-time, it will be 10-14 days or so before it will be posted online when I get back into town & you will be able to read them. So, till Musk's satellite-based cell service (Starlink?) becomes a reality in a couple of years, this is the best we have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resupply (4 days to go)

(Finally gave up on HikerFeed app which seemed good on paper, but never worked properly for me 🙁) 10-day resupply in the bear canister, ready to ship - 7.6 kg / 16.8 lbs (gulp!) Already shipped the first box last week

A thru-hike attempt... successful! (D-117: 2642.6 - 2653.6, D-117S (SOBO): 0 - 17.1, D-118S (SOBO): 17.1-30.6)

It is done! Finally, on August 10th, 2022, 117 days after I started at the US-Mexico border on April 16th, 2022, I reached the US-Canada border.  Walked 2653.6 miles (4270.6 km) south-to-north through the states of California, Oregon and Washington. No bittersweet moments...just sweet relief to be done 😀. We were few of the lucky thru-hikers this year who were able to go south-to-north continuously without any interruptions.  People who started even a couple of weeks earlier and maintained this pace hit a lot more snow in Seirras and a hell lot more in Washington, the latter being almost hike-stopping.  By the time we got to Seirras, the snow was much more manageable, and almost all the snow had melted in Washington.  People who started later or were slower have had to skip parts of Northern California due to forest fires. Even Oregon and Southern California have some fires starting already. Anyway, reached the northern terminus of the PCT yesterday morn...

Water, Wattage & WiFi (D-2)

Today was going to be tough one. If yesterday's elevation gain of 1000+ m was difficult, today's 1400+ m was going to be relentlesly uphill from the start to the end. With hiking legs still to be developed and 3 liters of water carry for a total pack weight of around 18-19 kg, it promised to be a challenging day.  And it lived up to the challenge 😄.  There were a few bright spots though including coming across the cold and clean Kitchen Creek and meeting a bunch of hikers both local & PCT.  The second half of the day was a slog and I was ready for it to end. The goal was to reach Mt Laguna town and find a place to replenish water, charge my phone and get some WiFi as I doubted there would be any decent cell phone signal. But, lo & behold, as soon as I stepped off the trail to go to town, I was introduced to the famed Trail Magic!! A few trail angels has setup a picnic and generously welcomed all the hikers with cold soda, snacks, cookies, pie etc....