Skip to main content

The Second Zero Day (D-32 @ 652 miles)


Ridgecrest is a mid-sized city with a Naval station and a big main road, surrounded by mountains. It is kinda past it's prime too. At least, that's my 1.5 day worth of impression, which most likely is not very accurate. Anyway, I was here to clean up my clothes & myself, get some food supplies for the next 2 days, and otherwise, just give some rest too my feet & legs which is what I have done. And, of course, I ate & drank a bunch of fatty junk food πŸ˜ƒ.

(I did eat almost the whole pint of ice cream in one sitting 😎)

Also stitched up a hole in my pants & reinforced the the backpack protective "skirt"

Not at all the cleanest work, but I just used the basic knowledge that my Mom taught me decades ago πŸ™‚.

Now, to sleep in a soft bed and get going tomorrow morning back on the trail!

Goodnight from Ridgecrest, CA!

Comments

Shiva said…
Glad you found, HΓ€agen-Dazs pineapple coconu t!

Popular posts from this blog

Resupply (4 days to go)

(Finally gave up on HikerFeed app which seemed good on paper, but never worked properly for me πŸ™) 10-day resupply in the bear canister, ready to ship - 7.6 kg / 16.8 lbs (gulp!) Already shipped the first box last week

A thru-hike attempt... successful! (D-117: 2642.6 - 2653.6, D-117S (SOBO): 0 - 17.1, D-118S (SOBO): 17.1-30.6)

It is done! Finally, on August 10th, 2022, 117 days after I started at the US-Mexico border on April 16th, 2022, I reached the US-Canada border.  Walked 2653.6 miles (4270.6 km) south-to-north through the states of California, Oregon and Washington. No bittersweet moments...just sweet relief to be done πŸ˜€. We were few of the lucky thru-hikers this year who were able to go south-to-north continuously without any interruptions.  People who started even a couple of weeks earlier and maintained this pace hit a lot more snow in Seirras and a hell lot more in Washington, the latter being almost hike-stopping.  By the time we got to Seirras, the snow was much more manageable, and almost all the snow had melted in Washington.  People who started later or were slower have had to skip parts of Northern California due to forest fires. Even Oregon and Southern California have some fires starting already. Anyway, reached the northern terminus of the PCT yesterday morn...

Water, Wattage & WiFi (D-2)

Today was going to be tough one. If yesterday's elevation gain of 1000+ m was difficult, today's 1400+ m was going to be relentlesly uphill from the start to the end. With hiking legs still to be developed and 3 liters of water carry for a total pack weight of around 18-19 kg, it promised to be a challenging day.  And it lived up to the challenge πŸ˜„.  There were a few bright spots though including coming across the cold and clean Kitchen Creek and meeting a bunch of hikers both local & PCT.  The second half of the day was a slog and I was ready for it to end. The goal was to reach Mt Laguna town and find a place to replenish water, charge my phone and get some WiFi as I doubted there would be any decent cell phone signal. But, lo & behold, as soon as I stepped off the trail to go to town, I was introduced to the famed Trail Magic!! A few trail angels has setup a picnic and generously welcomed all the hikers with cold soda, snacks, cookies, pie etc....