Skip to main content

Trail Angels (D-3)

That's Bad Santa and he is one of the many trail angels who help out thru-hikers out of the kindness of their hearts (both in PCT & AT, and other long distance trails in US).  Today was my lucky day: after having a hearty pancake & coffee breakfast provided by Hoosier Daddy & his team (another set of trail angels - see last post), I was ready to take my first break after 2+ hrs of hiking in the already-hot sun and the break happened to be an overlook point on a highway. Just as I set down my backpack, Bad Santa drives up & calls out "Trail Magic". He offered up soda, water, chips, oranges, and even beer 😄.  The Coke that I had never tasted so refreshing! And the orange that I kept and had later at 4 pm was the same.  Everything tastes better when you are backpacking 😋

Today's hike was relatively easy, as it was mostly downhill.  The sun was still a factor though. Ended up after 22 miles at a nice campsite and met fellow hikers from New York, Germany, Finland & Chile (needed one from Africa to cover all the major continents).  I have met a lot of fellow hikers but none for more than a day - everybody's pace is different, esp at the beginning.

Thick & buttery pancake b'fast by Hoosier Daddy & his team at Mt. Laguna campground

The trail (left) crosses many stream beds, almost all of them dry by this I time of the year in the desert section

 This was weird! Suddenly came upon an elaborate memorial to somebody who didn't even seem to connected to the trail

And there were more too in this short section of the trail

Anybody wanna pose on these nice big rocks on the top of a mountain for an Insta pic? 😀

For my data-minded friends:

Comments

gopalam said…
Meeting people from different walks of life is the most fun part. One gets a new perpective of life .I am very happy that my classmate is experiencing all that and hoping to listen to all your stories soon.

Popular posts from this blog

A thru-hike attempt... successful! (D-117: 2642.6 - 2653.6, D-117S (SOBO): 0 - 17.1, D-118S (SOBO): 17.1-30.6)

It is done! Finally, on August 10th, 2022, 117 days after I started at the US-Mexico border on April 16th, 2022, I reached the US-Canada border.  Walked 2653.6 miles (4270.6 km) south-to-north through the states of California, Oregon and Washington. No bittersweet moments...just sweet relief to be done 😀. We were few of the lucky thru-hikers this year who were able to go south-to-north continuously without any interruptions.  People who started even a couple of weeks earlier and maintained this pace hit a lot more snow in Seirras and a hell lot more in Washington, the latter being almost hike-stopping.  By the time we got to Seirras, the snow was much more manageable, and almost all the snow had melted in Washington.  People who started later or were slower have had to skip parts of Northern California due to forest fires. Even Oregon and Southern California have some fires starting already. Anyway, reached the northern terminus of the PCT yesterday morn...

Resupply (4 days to go)

(Finally gave up on HikerFeed app which seemed good on paper, but never worked properly for me 🙁) 10-day resupply in the bear canister, ready to ship - 7.6 kg / 16.8 lbs (gulp!) Already shipped the first box last week

Water, Wattage & WiFi (D-2)

Today was going to be tough one. If yesterday's elevation gain of 1000+ m was difficult, today's 1400+ m was going to be relentlesly uphill from the start to the end. With hiking legs still to be developed and 3 liters of water carry for a total pack weight of around 18-19 kg, it promised to be a challenging day.  And it lived up to the challenge 😄.  There were a few bright spots though including coming across the cold and clean Kitchen Creek and meeting a bunch of hikers both local & PCT.  The second half of the day was a slog and I was ready for it to end. The goal was to reach Mt Laguna town and find a place to replenish water, charge my phone and get some WiFi as I doubted there would be any decent cell phone signal. But, lo & behold, as soon as I stepped off the trail to go to town, I was introduced to the famed Trail Magic!! A few trail angels has setup a picnic and generously welcomed all the hikers with cold soda, snacks, cookies, pie etc....