Skip to main content

65 days since April 16th (D-65 1292.7 - 1323.4)

It has been 65 days since I started this hike. Doesn't really seem like it, but that's more than 2 months gone by! Things have definitely changed in these 2+ months. Physically I have lost some weight (~4-6 kg/10 lbs, I think), got a couple of blisters, stronger legs presumably, grew a beard (don't ask me why...on somewhat popular demand by a few friends 😋) etc. Mentally, it has been a slow but definite transition to making the daily hike as THE routine, getting comfortable living in a tent, packing/unpacking every morning & night, being completely comfortable camping in the wilderness alone, getting used to missing family & friends knowing that this too shall end, accepting but minimizing risks as much as possible, etc.

All this was on my mind yesterday, as I went through more burned sections of the trail. BTW, I was grossly wrong about the extent of trail that was impacted by the Dixie fire...it more like 150 miles and not just 40 miles. In fact, still have 3-4 days more to go before I get to greener sections. A few more pics that shows the impact:

A burnt trail blaze, compared to an unimpacted one.


Looks like the trees are barring entry into the "forbidden forest", which had a strong burnt wood smell even after a year.

Leftover firefighting equipment on the trail

This one is not directly related to the fire, but at first I thought it was some art made on the outside of the log, but later realized these were probably insect-made channels, now uncovered by the burning of the bark. Cool, though!

Apart from all this, there was a wonderful view of Mt. Lassen in the distance for most of the day

And just in case, one forgets where one is going:
Finally, the day ended here:
Good morning, good afternoon, good evening and good night from the Pacific Crest Trail midpoint!

Data:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resupply (4 days to go)

(Finally gave up on HikerFeed app which seemed good on paper, but never worked properly for me 🙁) 10-day resupply in the bear canister, ready to ship - 7.6 kg / 16.8 lbs (gulp!) Already shipped the first box last week

A thru-hike attempt... successful! (D-117: 2642.6 - 2653.6, D-117S (SOBO): 0 - 17.1, D-118S (SOBO): 17.1-30.6)

It is done! Finally, on August 10th, 2022, 117 days after I started at the US-Mexico border on April 16th, 2022, I reached the US-Canada border.  Walked 2653.6 miles (4270.6 km) south-to-north through the states of California, Oregon and Washington. No bittersweet moments...just sweet relief to be done 😀. We were few of the lucky thru-hikers this year who were able to go south-to-north continuously without any interruptions.  People who started even a couple of weeks earlier and maintained this pace hit a lot more snow in Seirras and a hell lot more in Washington, the latter being almost hike-stopping.  By the time we got to Seirras, the snow was much more manageable, and almost all the snow had melted in Washington.  People who started later or were slower have had to skip parts of Northern California due to forest fires. Even Oregon and Southern California have some fires starting already. Anyway, reached the northern terminus of the PCT yesterday morn...

Water, Wattage & WiFi (D-2)

Today was going to be tough one. If yesterday's elevation gain of 1000+ m was difficult, today's 1400+ m was going to be relentlesly uphill from the start to the end. With hiking legs still to be developed and 3 liters of water carry for a total pack weight of around 18-19 kg, it promised to be a challenging day.  And it lived up to the challenge 😄.  There were a few bright spots though including coming across the cold and clean Kitchen Creek and meeting a bunch of hikers both local & PCT.  The second half of the day was a slog and I was ready for it to end. The goal was to reach Mt Laguna town and find a place to replenish water, charge my phone and get some WiFi as I doubted there would be any decent cell phone signal. But, lo & behold, as soon as I stepped off the trail to go to town, I was introduced to the famed Trail Magic!! A few trail angels has setup a picnic and generously welcomed all the hikers with cold soda, snacks, cookies, pie etc....